Machine Mart and the REACH regulations
What are REACH regulations?
REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of Chemicals) is the system for controlling chemicals in Europe. It became law in the UK on 1st June 2007.
REACH covers most chemical substances that are manufactured in, or imported into, the EU.
This can be:
- A substance on its own
- A substance in a ‘preparation’ (a mixture; for example, ink or paint)
- A substance that makes up an ‘article’ (an object that is produced with a special shape, surface or design; for example, a power tool, a battery, clothes etc)
The REACH regulations have several aims:
- To provide a high level of protection of human health and the environment from the use of chemicals
- To make the people who place chemicals on the market manufacturers and importers responsible for understanding and managing the risks associated with their use
- To allow the free movement of substances on the EU market
- To enhance innovation in and the competitiveness of the EU chemicals industry
- To promote the use of alternative methods for the assessment of the hazardous properties of substances e.g. quantitative structure-activity relationships (QSAR) and read across.
Substances and items containing substances are to be withdrawn from the market and will no longer be commercially available. The regulations influence importers, manufacturers, distributors, retailers and downstream users of substances.
Further information can be found at: www.hse.gov.uk/reach/about.htm
Machine Mart does not import or use these substances in its manufacturing processes. We are working with our suppliers to ensure they are taking action to remove them from their processes and products.
We are aware that during this period the risk is very low and will only be of concern if products were not used as intended.
If you have any concerns regarding products you intend to purchase please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org